dinsdag 28 oktober 2008

The feeling of clubbing

One of the things I haven’t done during my current stay abroad is attend a proper clubnight. Sure, I’ve been to a lot of parties, some of which can be classified under the label ‘good’ and others which were the quite the opposite. I try to erase the latter from my memory – something I reckon all of us attempt to do – but in doing so, a rather unsettling thought crossed my mind. I couldn’t remember what a fine clubnight felt like…

I can easily recall some of the mammoth tunes that were dropped by a great DJ during some clubnight and some memorable things that happened that same night. No matter how hard I try though, I just can’t remember what I felt that very night or how much fun I had.


This is the reason why we go back I guess. To experience the feeling of having a good time with your friends and to know again what it feels like to forget about the everyday world and be part of a better one, if only for a couple of hours. This feeling must be the gist of clubbing. Getting drunk or taking drugs can be viewed as a sort of means to an end in this case. Some may need booze to experience the feeling whereas others are already 'feeling the groove' through the combination of being around their friends while dancing to some great tracks.

I believe it’s also what makes clubbers, and music lovers in general, alike. Whether your world is ruled by maximalist electro, hypnotising minimal, groovy house or anything in between is of little matter in clubbing because we’re all essentially in search of the same. Enough of my moralizing though; I’m off to actually experience what I’ve been babbling about. Joe from Hot Chip is coming to town for a DJ performance.

1 opmerking:

Cait zei

We'll be sampling the feeling friday @ Cocadisco.