zondag 8 juni 2008

Cait Loves Turbo

Turbo Recordings celebrates it’s 10 year anniversary, so wave those motherfuckers like you just don’t care! For those who missed it: the Turbo Label Night at Blast Your Ghetto was a bomb!

As far as party reviews go, I’ll keep things short: Fanklub DJ’s rocked, Thomas von Party was amazing and The Proxy’s live set was pretty much a re-run of how God created the universe. Best I’ve heard in years! (he refused to take my word for it at the time, but Zhenya, if you read this: I wasn’t drunk and I was totally serious).

On another note: Fraulein got wasted, Goldfox did not. Der Schmetterling scored poontang, Cait did.. an interview with Mr Turbo Recordings, Tiga’s younger brother and the whitest guy ever to wear an afro: Thomas von Party. James Brown is dead, meet the new hardest working man in showbizz:



10 years Turbo, congrats! Antwerp was amazing.. what more can we expect from Turbo this year?
We have a lot planned to celebrate: a really cool compilation CD with a book featuring all of Tiga's amazing infosheets, albums from Proxy and Jori Hulkkonen, 8 terrific 12"s, more than 30 tour dates and a very ambitious new website. Oh, and lots of T-shirts.

Where do you fit exactly at the label?
It's a very small operation, so I do a bit of everything, really... I deal with the artists, production, promo, work with the online stores, listen to demos, run the podcast, organize events... basically just answer emails all day :)

I’m pretty sure Proxy is gonna be thé name of 2008. You discovered him through myspace. An inspirational story for young producers all over the world..
Totally... it's a great vibe. Before we signed him he didn't even have a passport!! He's a wonderful guy and extremely talented. Not that many young producers have as distinctive and powerful a 'sound' as Proxy... and he's really hitting his stride now with amazing new remixes for Moby and Digitalism. It's also inspiring because he's not coming from New York or London or Berlin... he's coming from a little suburb outside of Moscow, relatively speaking it's a cultural vacuum... and I'm glad that I found him on myspace because it partly justifies all the time I've wasted on that site!

When can we expect a Thomas von EP? Not interested at all to go there?
I just did a remix of Moby actually with a friend of mine, Brad Lamborghini. It'll be on the upcoming Moby remixes - Turbo 054. It's just a rough acid track, but I'm happy to have put something out to get the ball rolling. I'm a total beginner in the studio but I feel confident that I'll be releasing some more stuff this year... remixes are probably more likely at this stage, a bit less daunting when you have some structure and some sounds to start with.

How do you get your fro so perfect? All natural?
No, it's a wig.


Geen opmerkingen: