dinsdag 6 november 2007

Please believe the hype.

"oi": "used to call someone or attract their attention in a way that is not very polite"
"oi oi oi": "a Boys Noize maximal version of the original exclamation"


Boys Noize released his debut album over a month ago. Unless you've been living under a rock, you'd already know this. Why would I even bother writing something about it then? Well, first of all, it's because I don't mind being slightly behind on everyone else. Unlike most bloggers, I don't always feel the need to write something about the latest or hottest release, the so-called "Ultimate Release of the moment". I guess I sometimes need some time to let things sink in first before I really feel the need to get them out of my system. And that is why only now I feel comfortable to write something on Boys Noize's debut album Oi Oi Oi.

As some of you may think, this isn't really Alex Ridha's first album. He's made another one under the name Kid Alex, named Restless, and this album was destroyed by the critics. I am thrilled to say that "Oi Oi Oi" is of a different level. On this album, Ridha pulls out all the stops. The album begins with "& Down" which immediately sets the tone. From there on, Ridha shows no willingness whatsoever to slow down the pace of the album and keeps firing one dancefloor filler after another at you, going from "Arcade Rock" (Robot Rock, anyone?), over "Shine Shine" (which reminds me a lot of that typical Digitalism sound with Justice vocals incorporated) to end with a track that couldn't have summarized this album better: his remix of "Spacer Frau".

This is the kind of massive album that Justice was supposed to release for Ed Banger Records, but they kinda mistook themselves and Digitalism's "Idealism" wasn't very consistent either. Ridha however, is the conductor of a very consistent as well as coherent album that keeps on giving you body blows and ends with an uppercut, just to make sure you got the message. And oh yes, I got the message loud and clear. If I were to be on a quest for "the Ultimate Release of the moment", I needn't search further. I've found what I was looking for right here.

Geen opmerkingen: